Provide life-saving meals for children around the world!
Get Involved, Change Lives
Join Youth Encounter and Harvest Pack to provide highly nutritious, life-saving meals for starving children around the world for less than $0.30 a meal!
Youth Encounter will customize a Food Packaging Service Event for your group. Options include:
- 2-3 hour mid-week or weekend events (morning, afternoon or evening)
- partial or full-day events
- a large event spread across several days or a weekend
Host a stand-alone event, or contact us to learn about partnering your food packaging event with additional team programming.
Visit www.harvestpack.org to learn more about Harvest Pack.
Sample Packaging Event
- 30 minutes – Instructions/discussion on world hunger
- 45-90 minutes – Food Packaging and clean up
- 15 minutes – Debriefing
(Structure will be lengthened or shortened to fit your needs. Please consult Youth Encounter staff about your specific situation before deciding on details.)
Time and Cost Calculator
The minimum food packaging event for 2015-2016 ranges between $2,088-$4,176. Food packaging shifts are set up in groups of 25 people (11 people at each of 2 stations, and three additional people supporting the process).
Youth Encounter comes equipped to supervise two groups (4 stations, 50 people) simultaneously (one shift). In addition to packing time, each shift takes a minimum of 15 minutes prep time and 15 minutes clean-up time. An introduction of the project beforehand and debriefing the experience afterwards can take up to 15-30 minutes; this time can be incorporated into each shift, or done as a total group at the beginning and the close of the total project (if packing in more than one shift). For large packing events, additional equipment can be supplied to supervise additional groups simultaneously (for some additional cost; timing not reflected in above calculations).
A group of 25 people will pack 3,000-4,000 meals per hour, or 120-160 meals per person, per hour. If the group has fewer people, it will take longer to package the food. Similarly, if positions are rotated so participants can experience a variety of tasks, the per-person rate will tend toward the lower rate, and it will take longer to package the food.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org, or to request a team, visit www.youthencounter.org/schedule-a-team.
- $0.29 per meal pays for food ingredients & all the logistics to get the meals to hungry children
- Per person: $20 for packing 30 minutes, $40 for packing 60 minutes
- Overall cost: 7,200 meals for $2,088, 14,400 meals for $4,176, 21,600 meals for $6,264, etc.
- May include some additional ministry programming.
- Minimum ranges between 7,200-14,400 meals. Contact us to learn more
- A minimum of 25 volunteers
- Scheduled at least 4 weeks in advance
- Volunteers should be at least 8 years old
- Hosting organization is expected to provide housing & meals for Youth Encounter volunteers (generally with host families)
- What do we need to do in preparation for our event?
- How much space do I need?
- How many volunteers will we need?
- What is in the food?
- What happens to the food once it is packaged?